Friday, November 9, 2012

Fantastic Food Friday: Baby Puree

So what the heck do you actually feed that kid? 
 
Since his diet is a bit restricted, that question comes up a lot.  Well, at least one meal a day is a creative concoction of beans, brown rice and veggies.  Not only is it healthy and void of any allergy producing ingredients, but it is also cheap-o-rama.  I know he's capable of eating most of this stuff without it being tossed in a food processor.  I, however, also know how lazy impatient I am.  A super chunky puree makes for a quick meal, and I can make an entire batch to freeze.
 
Mommy's Favorite - Black Bean Puree
 
1 can of rinsed and drained black beans
1 can of corn (not drained - be sure the ingredients just list corn and water)
1 cup of brown rice
 
Matthew's Favorite - Chick Pea Puree
This one is definitely not the best looking (or tasting), but Matthew gobbles it up.  I guess I should be thankful that he likes his green veggies!
1 can of rinsed and drained chick peas
1 can of peas (not drained - be sure the ingredients are just peas and water)
1 small can of spinach (really, just use that adorable little mini size can)
1 - 1.5 cups of brown rice
 
Nobody's Favorite (but necessary for variety) - Kidney Bean Puree
 
1 can of rinsed and drained kidney beans
1 can of green beans (not drained - I use french style with only beans and water)
1 cup of brown rice
 
Basically I dump everything in a pot, add a bit of pepper and a tiny pinch of salt, and heat through.  Then I dump the mixture into my food processor and scramble things up until it's a chunky mess.  Next, I pour the pureed mix into ice cube trays and freeze.  Once frozen the cubes can be popped out and put into labeled freezer storage bags.  Each recipe makes at least 8 servings.  The chick pea makes at least 12.  I consider a serving to be about 4 cubes. 
 
In one afternoon I can make about 30 servings at less than 20 cents per servingIt's pretty awesome and Matthew loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment