Saturday, March 10, 2012

Matthew's Noises

They say that babies learn through repetition and Matthew is certainly no exception.  This week's lesson according to Matty?  Let's see what can I do with my vocal chords.

In the beginning I had a few days of little screeches and baby screams which I found to be hysterical (a little less funny while we were browsing the aisles at Lowe's while looking at mommy's new project ideas, but luckily he's still cute enough that passersby had looks of amusement on their faces instead of annoyance).

Next came a few days of a guttural noise that Ryan described best as, "He sounds like a 12 year old boy who is pretending to die."

Then came the creepster laugh.  It was a repetitive deep throaty "Heh, heh, heh."  I love everything my child does, but I have to say that I'm super glad this is not his normal laugh.

This brings us to yesterday's new noise.  It's 7 am.  Mommy and baby are playing in bed while daddy gets ready for work.  Everything is fun and happy when all of the sudden baby tries to breathe through his mouth and, instead of silence, a horrendous airless sucking/gasping noise fills the room (accompanied by the child's eyes opening to the size of quarters).  Does daddy witness this?  No, he's still in the shower.  Does mommy panic?  Absolutely!  Especially when it happens a second time.  Does 911 get called?  No.  Why not?  Because then mommy realized that this baby is making this noise INTENTIONALLY!!!  His other breathing was totally normal, he was a normal color, within 5 minutes he wanted breakfast and ate just fine, and most importantly he continued to make this noise on command while giggling.  He was extremely amused with his new accomplishment.  Me, not so much since I continued to freak out all day long.

On other high notes - He's standing and holding his own weight like a champ (while we support him of course).

Did I do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment