Friday, October 19, 2012

Fantastic Food Friday: Salad Jars

Where would we be without Pinterest?  Seriously?  Oh, and where would we be without mason jars?  Ryan and I make a huge batch of chili (like 8 servings) and a huge batch of pasta sauce and we freeze them in mason jars.  Then we have 2 of our weekly meals mostly done for almost 2 months!  It's cheap and awesome.  Well, awesome unless you do something silly like burn the chili like Ryan did to the last batch or add waaaaaay too much salt like I did to this current batch.  Basically we've had four months of crappy chili, but I digress.
 
Back to Pinterest... I saw these mason jar salads and just had to try them. 

Aren't they adorable?  
Mine were what I like to call Fiesta Salad.  It includes a ranch salsa dressing, a tiny bit of onion, black beans, corn, a little cheese, a little chicken and/or steak, and a combo of red leaf and green leaf lettuce.  I think I like this idea so much that I'll come up with a new theme every time I make a batch.  I feel Greek coming on next.  And yes, it is important to layer the ingredients so that your lettuce doesn't get soggy and die.  Mine were constructed in the order of the ingredients I just listed.  Yumtastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment